Throughout April, volatility across equity markets declined & markets showed signs of recovery on the back of countries beginning to ease lock down measures and reopening economies.
Since March 23, the MSCI EM Price Return Index recovered close to 50% of its prior decline, closing April down 17% YTD. Over the same period, the MSCI World Price Return Index regained 60% closing April at 2,052, down 13% YTD.
This market rebound was not backed by any concrete resolution: the long-term effects of the COVID-19 crisis remain unclear and it’s too early to tell what shape a recovery will take.
ICE: The leading venue for MSCI Index Futures
- MSCI EM Asia Index Futures (Ticker ANSA) - over $650Mio traded this month, with a competitive price picture on screen of up to 1bps B/A spread during US hours
- MSCI Emerging Markets Index Futures (Ticker MESA) April ADV of 124K up 67% YoY, OI of 1.24Mio lots down 5% YoY
- MSCI EAFE Index Futures (Ticker MFSA) April ADV of 45.5K up 86% YoY, OI of 500K up 47% YoY
- April ADV across all ICE MSCI Index Futures up 67% YoY to 172k lots, OI down 2.5% YoY to 2.07Mio lots
- New research from MSCI shows that ESG indices out performed their parent indices during the COVID-19 sell-off. ICE MSCI ESG derivatives offer a simple tool for ESG integration